At 1.9 million sf, the Wanamaker Building remains the largest building in Philadelphia.
In 1904, department store magnate John Wanamaker commissioned America's preeminent architect, Daniel H. Burnham to build the world largest department store. Dedicated by President William Howard Taft, to build the Building remains the only private edifice dedicated by a President of the United States.
In 1988, an affiliate of Brickstone Realty acquired and undertook a certified historic rehabilitation of the aging Wanamaker department store. Brickstone successfully converted floors 6-12 into class A office space. Brickstone added an 800-car, below grade parking facility. Like the Lits before, the Wanamaker Building earned the National Trust Honor Award for best large-scale commercial rehabilitation in 1992.